A sincere happy Father’s Day (or Uncle’s Day) to all the gentlemen out there! Have you wished God a happy Father’s Day?!
Let me tell you about my (earthly) Daddy. He’s a nerdy character with a goofy sense of humor. More importantly, he’s become more of a hero to me this past year. It can’t be easy to be widowed, own and manage a successful business; and to prepare your youngest daughter for her senior year of high school and transition into college life. He did it.
So, to my beloved Pa-Pa, I’m grateful for…
- the fact that he believes putting ice on something fixes everything, kind of like the father from My Big Fat Greek Wedding thought Windex fixed everything
- the Daddy Daughter Dances he took me to, encouraging my dance fever early on
- his remedy for sore throats: Vernor’s ginger ale and vanilla ice cream mixed together
- getting me hooked on hot sauce when I was temporarily blind (boy, could I see after that!)
- him teaching me to appreciate sports
- driving me to high school every morning my freshman and sophomore years, allowing us 20 minutes of time together before his work schedule kept him away for hours on in
- his extended financial stability, even when I didn’t deserve it
- him taking on the responsibilities of a step-daughter at the age of 22 and never looking back.